Friday, April 13, 2012
Dear Best Surprises
Dear Best Surprises,
In our mundane, day-to-day life, you give us tiny glimmers of excitement. On the weeks that drag on and Friday cannot come soon enough, you come as little gifts that help us get through the long day and the hard week. Here are my Top Ten Best Surprises in my ordinary, uneventful, stay-at-home life.
10. That I find a wad of folded bills in the pocket of a jacket, from last winter! #freelargeicedcoffeeday
9. That due to age-related amnesia, I realize I am actually younger than I thought I was (because age becomes one big blur when approaching 40). #freetravelbackintime
8. That Dear Husband comes home early from work, unannounced, and takes us all out to dinner. #pumpfistlikemad
7. That on a Friday night, there exists 1). a Netflix movie to watch, 2). all ingredients for a cocktail present, and 3). enough wherewithal to last through the movie and drink. #whatarethechances
6. That the three things I went to the store to buy were all on sale. #hitthejackpot
5. That at the exact moment I take a deep inhale in order to spew out infuriated loudness at my kiddos, Dear Son sneaks in an even louder, "I love you, Mommy!" #workitlittleman
4. That Dear Daughter decides to put away the clean dishes because it is 'fun'. #howlongwillthatlast
3. That I find a photo of myself that I actually do not detest. #onceinabluemoon
2. That I actually played a bingo word on Wordfeud in a game with DH: OH. THE. SHEER. JOY. DH is insanely good at it, and I pretty much just always pout whether he wins by a few points or by a 3 digit number. #oneinonehundredgames
(and... drum roll, please...)
1. That when I've run out of clean knickers and are cursing the knicker gods for forsaking me (and thus having to run a load at the last minute), I miraculously find one last pair. #myknickergodsrock
And there you have it: the best ordinary surprises life offers me. At my age, I'm not a huge fan of surprises, since they are no longer the birthday or holiday surprises like the ones our kiddos get. But any one of those above, I'll take any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Best Surprises, thank you for your appearances in my day-to-day grind. Happy Friday!