You are a popular saying to describe boundless love--the kind that neither reason or logic can sway, but is always guided by feel instead of sight. While this kind of love can be dreamy and romantic for young lovers, it can be a calamitous curse for old married couples. Ahem.
Being that I am no longer young
10. Who stays mad after waking from a dream wherein DH did something ostensibly offensive? I do. Imagine his surprise waking up to an angry wife because of something he didn't
9. Who can go on and on spewing out Word Diarrhea about everything and anything under the sun because there is a pair of ears that
8. Who can do no wrong in her children's eyes while they usually turn a deaf ear to their daddy? I can. Imagine him being treated like chopped liver by his little Pot O' Vinegar club members, while they only come to him to ask for toys, to blame for something they won't blame their mommy, and to make demands of various kinds. #NoIDidNotBrainwashThem
7. Who speaks in absolute terms (the "you always" and "I never"s), whether they are statements, questions, or <gasp> rhetorical questions? I do. Imagine his resignation at my verbiage of 100% certainty. #BecauseIAmAlwaysRight
6. Who has perfected her passive-aggressive demands to textbook-worthy examples ("I'm thirsty!" instead of "Can you please get me a drink?"; "I'm cold!" instead of "Can you please get me a sweater?")? I have. Imagine his
4. Who never cooks spicy foods, ever, when her spouse is quite fond of it? That would be I. Imagine him taking out his pitiful little jar of spicy chili sauce to add to his foods, all by his own lonesome self. #UmYourHotSauceIsExpired
3. Who can scare the living daylights out of the driver--from the passenger seat--because she has driving anxieties (even when she's not driving)? I can. Imagine his cringe at deafening screams--so loud they can cause traffic accidents themselves--because, well, I'm a freak. #BackseatDriverInThePassengerSeat
2. Who apparently likes to ask her spouse trick questions? (When I asked DH if he could possibly help me think of items for this very list, he answered, "There aren't ANY!" without missing half a beat. He claims that he wasn't married yesterday.) Apparently, I. Imagine his defensive guard countering my innocent inquiry. #JustWondering
Last, but not least...
1. Who is put to complete shame when it comes to orderliness? I am. Our his and her closets would reveal our polar opposite tolerances for clutter: his is of showroom caliber, while mine should have a closed-door policy at all times. Imagine his
As if you cannot tell already, DH is a saint.
So, Dear Love-Is-Blind, you must be a true saying if DH has lasted this long with me and my torturous tendencies. Or perhaps I have managed to reduced DH's eyesight to near blindness with my tomfoolery over the years. Or perhaps having the right chemistry allowed us to shape tolerance into compromise on our little life stage called Marriage. Whatever the case it may be, I am blessed to have someone who loves me in spite of me. And despite my craziness. So it would only be appropriate, today, to give a shoutout to my brave and chivalrous DH who has had the patience to keep me around.
Cuz he's too blind to show me the way out.
Happy Valentine's Day, Honey!