Dear Summer Discoveries,
As a self-proclaimed lifelong learner, I and my aging brain continue to accumulate facts that unexpectedly surprise me. For example, when one's computer begins to exhibit abnormal behavior routinely over a period of weeks, one should not be surprised when The Blue Screen of Death shows up and declares "Hard Drive Failure." And by one I mean me. I thought to myself, it's okay; we have an old laptop so I can still write and post this week. I powered it up and I kid you not, The Blue Screen of Death flashed its grotesque gibberish at me, for a second, and the computer restarted on its own. I almost had to write this post on my smartphone and I probably would have cried. However, despite my technical difficulties, I hereby present to you a
10. That like all students and teachers, this blog can go on summer vacation, too, because it deserves the rejuvenation and fun-in-the-sun everyone else get at this time of year. #I'mStillHereDon'tForgetMe
9. That a flock of crows is called a murder (cuz I learned it from reading The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein), and that a group of male cheetahs is a called a coalition (cuz I looked it up, just for fun). #NowGoShowOffYourNewVocabulary
8. That it's time for my very first mammogram, which I honestly totally forgot about at this turn of the decade, probably because my mind fell over the hill. #My40sClubWelcomeGift
7. That my wish to grow a pumpkin or two--from seed--for Halloween this year, may in fact turn me into a pumpkin seller because currently I have a few dozen flower buds and large yellow flowers that might eventually yield two or thirty-five Jack-O-Lanterns. #TheVinesAreTakingOver
6. That I sometimes keep my vacuum on a little bit longer so that I can imagine hearing one or two fewer MAA-MMAAAHHHHs in all... my... days... of... summer.... #SacredMommySanityMoments
5. That I am incapable of buying a lusciously sweet watermelon (which I've only ever tasted at BFF's house), and that consequently I must friggin' eat the entire 50lb watermelon even if the first bite was just meh. #ThumpingDoesNOTWork
4. That the hunt for the next great book to read is almost as exciting as the one I'm currently enamored with (this one is listed, obvs, just so I can
3. That Little Boys' anger and frustration are something of a monstrosity to contend with, and that Big Boys' patience and touch are sometimes more comforting than one assumes. #ParentingIsHumbling
2. That Tweens still eagerly wait to play with their little cousins, and still want to wear matching tees with their mamas. #SlowDownYearsSlowDownLife
1. That I am enjoying this summer far more than any I can ever remember because I am writing and reading and baking and farming and swimming and sleeping and unwinding and breathing and softening and exhaling. #CarpeSummerCarpeAestatem
So, Dear Summer Discoveries, you're not bad for a list one month into summer. The Medic came and resuscitated my laptop; it's still in a coma, and we're waiting for it to wake the hell up. Nevertheless, when one is in the midst of a beautiful, carefree season that one dreams of in the middle of bleak, deathly winter, one looks around, gives thanks, and carpes the heck out of it. Carpe summer, carpe aestatem.
Happy Summer vacation!